26 September 2014

DIY // Embroidered Eye Cushion

It's time for another diy and I am quite excited about this one since I love it so much. I have been eyeing a cushion from Urban Outfitters for a while but I could never really justify myself spending £30 on a cushion cover so I decided to try and make a similar one. 
Here's Urban Outfitter's cushion and my version of it, you can probably tell which is which! Let's get started!

What you need:
fabric
black embroidery thread
stuffing
thread



First you need to decide what size you want to make your cushion (I made mine 35cm x 35cm). Cut two identical pieces of your fabric, leaving a few centimetres surrounding your edge. Then draw on with pencil your eye shapes, the Urban Outfitters' had 19 eyes while mine only had 14.


I made the eyes exclusively out of running stitches (I'm not a great sewer). For the centre, following the circle you drew earlier, sew up and down leaving no gaps, to create a circle.


Keep sewing until all your eyes are complete. I did mine over the span of a few days and not all at one time because it is quite time consuming. Once you get the hang of it though, it's much easier.


Now you need to turn your fabric inside out to sew around the seam. I don't know if this is the best way to do it but I did a doubled running stitch so there were no gaps. Remember to leave a 10cm or so gap so that you can stuff it.


Turn your cover back the right way and stuff it using the gap you left. Then tuck in the fabric in your gap and zig-zag between the two sides with your thread to seal it tightly. And that is it!

Now you can sit back and enjoy your beautiful new cushion!


Hope you enjoyed and try this out!

Martha xo




1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I was thinking about painting a cussion like this, but I guess this is an even better idea ;)
    ♡ Ella

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts and opinions so please comment. If you have a blog of your own feel free to add your url. xxxxx